Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Mouth by Steve Prentice

My Rating: 3.5 of 5 Stars

About the Book:
Sandy Parkinson and Christine Lee are co-owners of a small eatery in the downtown core based on the concept of offering small bites instead of large meals. Recently things have been going well, mostly due to the patronage of a mysterious Chinese man who uses the office space above the restaurant. All that ends, however, when the Chinese man disappears and a long line of people come along looking for him. His upstairs business, it turns out, was not entirely what it seemed. Sandy and Chris are thrown into the adventure of their lives as they seek to keep their restaurant alive and discover that everyone around them has secrets. Mouth is an upbeat urban adventure story, filled with humourous episodes that skewers our busy lifestyles and love of technology while weaving a narrative of plot twists and engaging characters.

My Thoughts:

I went into this book expecting a lot, maybe that's a mistake for some but I can't say I was too disappointed. The plot really interested me, and I found myself drawn into it as a whole. I love a good mystery story, one with lots of twists and turns and a solid plot line and this was it. Well developed setting, interesting cast of characters I was immediately drawn in. I'm going to be honest though, and I must say that, although a 3.5 star rating means very good in my ratings, the thing that kept it from a 4 star/great rating is that I just couldn't connect as much as I'd like with the characters. I have a feeling that that might just be me though. So, other than that Mouth is interesting and fast paced, but has that unique ability to  really bring you into the small little moments and details in the story.
As far as who I'd recommend it to, I think mystery fans would definitely be into this, and adults of any age looking for a new, altogether unique read, but I'm not sure about teens as maybe that could have been my issue with connecting. I feel that Steve Prentice himself has an outstandingly fresh writing voice and one that I expect many will become fans of(myself included) when given the chance. I would certainly read another book by this author in the future!

*I received this book for review from the author, but this in no way affected my thoughts expressed in the review*

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please, let me know what you thought about this post. :)