Monday, April 21, 2014

Harp's Song by Cassie Shine

Buy the Book: Amazon|B&N|Smashwords

About the Book:
In just a few months Harp Evans will be officially coming of age and graduating from high school. She will be free from the mother that never wanted her, the house that never felt like home, and the disappointment of the last seventeen years. What she doesn’t know is that her mother has been holding onto a secret that has the potential to derail her dreams and destroy her already faulty sense of self. A self-proclaimed recluse, Harp spends most of her time practicing the cello, in the hopes of earning a full scholarship that will grant her freedom, but will also send her away from her best friend Connor Williams, who is becoming more than just a friend. As revelations are made, will Harp still feel the same way about leaving everyone that cares about her behind? Or will she continue to pursue the life she’s been dreaming of for as long as she can remember?

My Thoughts:
Harp Evans has a really tough life. Without any explanation her mother just seems to absolutely hate her, and mentally, emotionally, and sometimes physically abuses her pretty much every time she's near her. So, Harp really doesn't have too many people that she trusts or that care about her. That is, except her best friend Connor Williams and his family. So, because of that she chooses to focus on her music and spends most all the time she can(her mother won't allow it when she's home) practicing her cello.

Harp is focused on one thing, and that is to get the scholarship she dreams of to be able to get away from her mother as soon as possible. As we all know well, plans can change and as many different things come to light everything no longer looks so black and white to Harp.

I found this book to be really enjoyable! There was some(very small!) bumps for me as the story got going, but it just took me a few pages more of this amazing book for me to all but forget about them. Harp is such a well-developed character. She has all these layers to her and you get to just see more and more about her on each page. Connor, too, is a great character--you can tell from the beginning that he really does care about Harp and wants what's best for her. They both seem really mature for their age, but it has done well so that this doesn't come across like some young adult novels do--with the characters pretty much acting like adults with curfews. I really related to Harp. Although I have never in any way been abused, I have been through a lot in my life that I think made me mature faster than most teenagers my age, so to me I was able to step into this character's shoes while reading-so to speak, making me love the book even more.

All in all, I don't want to give away any spoilers(you'll just have to read the book yourself!) but I really look forward to reading more from Cassie Shine because if this story is any indication, she's definitely a great author. If you're a fan of Young Adult or just a really great story I highly recommend you check out Harp's Song, I don't think you'll be disappointed!
*Although I received this book for review from the author, this in no way affected my thoughts expressed in this review*

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please, let me know what you thought about this post. :)