Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Trapped by Carrie Grant

Buy the Book: Amazon
Visit the Author: Facebook|Twitter
My Rating: 4 of 5 Stars! 

About Trapped:
Driving home from a high school math competition, the last thing Emily expected was to get trapped in a caved-in tunnel. Yet when the dust settles, she soon finds there’s even more going on than a math nerd could have calculated. Only a few other cars survived the cave-in, leaving her trapped with a team of plumbers, a cranky old man, a Governor, and a family of five. An older boy named Chris also managed to survive the cave-in...but his bright blue eyes seem to be watching everyone just a little too closely.

As the hours tick by and the water runs out, the survivors struggle to wait for the rescue team. But Emily had seen something just before the tunnel collapsed, something that makes her realize that this cave-in was no accident. She is trapped with the killer of hundreds of innocent people–with nearly a mile of solid rock blocking every exit.

My Review:
Trapped opens on Emily riding home from a math competition with her mom and younger sisters, and you could tell right away that her mom was not at all happy to be there. Her math competition had been further away then usual, so they weren't used to making the drive. When in the middle of driving through a big tunnel they hear this big tumbling,crashing type noise and the tunnel collapses around them and everyone else in there as well, trapping them inside...

I just loved, loved loved this book! You could tell right away by the way she took charge and went to see if the other end of the tunnel was still open that Emily is one smart cookie, and(I've said this time and time again) I love when books have strong female characters, especially YA because these are the type of people you want younger teens looking up to. Emily is truly courageous, yet real at the same time by showing us just how scared she really is in the inside. I loved the twists and turns in this book and all of the little characters were developed wonderfully. It's different than a lot of what's out there right now in young adult literature which is great because, hey, who doesn't love a good mystery/suspense type book? Maybe it's me truly being my mother's daughter but there is nothing like a book that keeps you on the edge of your seat and has you biting your bottom lip and cheering on your favorite characters within the story. All the little details in Trapped were so perfectly written that I actual felt like I was there. Why I'm so happy about feeling like I was trapped in a tunnel I'm not sure. But... I am, because books are supposed to take you new and exciting places and even if that means being trapped and running out of water and all these scary things then so be it.

This book had a lot more to it than what I thought when I agreed to review it, but I mean that in a good way. I recommend to all fans of young adult literature from young teens on up. Carrie Grant is someone that I can really see becoming a recognized face in the genre, mostly because she really knows how to honestly portray the characters. I feel a lot of times the representation of a teenager in books like these can fall flat and stereotypical and I never felt like that in this book. So, if you're looking for an exciting new page-turner then this is certainly the book for you! 
*I received this book for review from the author, but this in no way affected my opinion or review*

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please, let me know what you thought about this post. :)