Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Spotlight: Trapped by Carrie Grant

So happy to be spotlighting here on Electively Paige today a lovely young adult novel by the super awesome Carrie Grant titled Trapped. I really enjoyed this and will be posting a review later this evening so I definitely recommend you check this book out!

Buy the Book: Amazon

About Trapped:
Driving home from a high school math competition, the last thing Emily expected was to get trapped in a caved-in tunnel. Yet when the dust settles, she soon finds there’s even more going on than a math nerd could have calculated. Only a few other cars survived the cave-in, leaving her trapped with a team of plumbers, a cranky old man, a Governor, and a family of five. An older boy named Chris also managed to survive the cave-in...but his bright blue eyes seem to be watching everyone just a little too closely.

As the hours tick by and the water runs out, the survivors struggle to wait for the rescue team. But Emily had seen something just before the tunnel collapsed, something that makes her realize that this cave-in was no accident. She is trapped with the killer of hundreds of innocent people–with nearly a mile of solid rock blocking every exit.

Excerpt:
You know, Emily," Chris says, "you’re one of the few people trapped inside this tunnel who aren’t freaking out about it.”
His voice is quiet, and I turn to look at his profile.
“The women on the western side all seem pretty nervous, and the hikers almost lost it at first. The Rodriguez family has shed quite a few tears in that van of theirs. The Governor and his driver seem worried. Even grumpy Simon Tara was frightened there for a second.”
“You...you left out the workmen. In the plumbing truck, you know.”

“Yeah. Yeah I did.” His lips form a slight frown as he looks down the tunnel.
I study his calm demeanor for a moment. “And you left out yourself.”

His eyes narrow just slightly, but the look is gone in an instant. “I’m always good under pressure,” he shrugs, his lips smiling again. “Maybe it’s my mechanic background.”

He’s teasing me again, but there’s something off about it, like there’s much more he’s thinking than saying. He’s trying to distract me, I realize. He doesn’t want me thinking too much about why he isn’t worried about our chances of survival in this tunnel – when he, the only one without a car to protect him, should be the most nervous of us all.
Our eyes meet and hold for a moment...I don’t know what I see there, but it’s not something I want to stay and think about. I stand and brush out my skirt, mumbling about how I need to get back to my sisters. He only nods, eyes still solemnly studying me as his lips keep up the smile. I quickly turn to go.
“Hey Champ?” His voice stops me, and I turn back to see his smile fading. “Everyone handles it differently...the trauma of being trapped down here. I wouldn’t worry about it too much if I were you.”
The words themselves are nice and well-meaning, but his tone is hard, almost threatening.
I wouldn’t worry about it too much if I were you.
I nod once, sharply, and turn to hurry back down the tunnel.
I’m worried, all right. And I know he sees it.

About Carrie Grant:
Carrie Grant is a 26-year-old young adult author from Manhattan, New York. She lives there with her older sister and their cat, Felix. Carrie has been writing since she was in her teens, but she is only recently published. She writes for strong, but soft, female leads and loves mystery, adventure, and romance.

Make sure to stay tuned for the review tonight, and for a Character Interview with "Emily" later this week! I can't wait! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please, let me know what you thought about this post. :)