Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our StarsThe Fault in Our Stars by John Green
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

Let's all just admit it. John Green is just freaking amazing. There is no question on this. It's fact. There are few people who can take a novel(about kids with cancer for crying out loud!) and make you both laugh and cry in the same page, heck sometimes the same paragraph. Mr. Green has crafted a real masterpiece here. I first fell in love with his writing upon reading An Abundance of Katherines and have been looking forward to reading this book for a long time. As you can tell by my 5 star rating, I was not disappointed.

Hazel was an amazing character(as were Augustus and Isaac, heck even their parents). She really helped you to imagine what someone in a situation similar to hers must be going through. It will never fail to amaze me that the author was able to so thoughtfully and truthfully craft her personality. I loved all her little quirks, even her addiction to reality TV.
Then there was Augustus. Sweet, amazing, dreamer Augustus. He gave Hazel such an amazing gift by pulling her back out into the real world and encouraging her to live what life she has left. The world could use a few more Augustus Walters' and again pure character imperfectly perfect perfection(if that makes sense).

Then there was all those amazing side characters who bring the whole story together. This is one where, when I have my own kids and they are teens I will be handing them this book. It's one where I am going to tell my parents, brother, friends, neighbors, the people at my doctor's office, and random people on the internet: You MUST read this book. Some people think it's crazy, when I tell them that a book can change your life or at least your point of view, but it's true.

“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”

It's funny that the book this is written in, is one that inspires that exact feeling. It's no question that I will read more by John Green.
I hope my review did this book some justice, and that you will decide to read it. Reviews are always hard for me, it's difficult to convey my feelings when it comes to a book I truly love. It's like how am I supposed to express the whirlwind of emotions racing through me? How am I to express that the author is so good that you feel like you are right there with the characters? All I know, is I loved the book.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please, let me know what you thought about this post. :)