Friday, April 18, 2014

Dragon's Curse by H.L. Burke

My Rating: 4 of 5 Stars
Visit the Author: Website|Blog|Facebook|
Buy the Book: Amazon

About the Book:

On her first assignment out of the Academy, young healer and scholar, Shannon Macaulay is summoned to the struggling kingdom of Regone to see to the wounds of a young but crippled king. When the unwanted attentions of an aggressive knight and the sudden appearance of a hated dragon turn her world upside down, she decides to take matters into her own hands even if doing so proves dangerous.

Finding herself strangely drawn to the company of the dragon, Gnaw, Shannon must force herself out of her safe world of books and botany to come to the aid of her unexpected ally in a strange kingdom, cursed by a fateful encounter with a dragon and the loss of a beloved prince. Can she learn to put aside her fears, and perhaps sacrifice her deepest desires, to help a friend and restore a family?

My Thoughts:
So I'm really into books with dragons lately. Just, you know, in case you hadn't noticed. I really loved this one, much more than most even. H.L. Burke is one of those authors that can pack both romance and action into a perfectly wrapped package that will have you ready for more before you've even finished the last page. The characters just really leap off the page, especially Shannon. She seems to have a good head on her shoulders and is just her own person in general, which I really loved about this book.

This is just an honestly beautiful story, in fact it reads a lot like a fairy tale of the Princess Bride variety. Okay, it's completely different from the Princess Bride(don't hurt me die-hard fans!), but it has that sort of flow if you know what I mean. I feel like this story would appeal to a wide variety of readers, of most ages from young teens to adults. I also feel like fans of some romance, science fiction/fantasy, and(of course) dragons in general, will really love this book. 

I really liked the dragon in this book--that's all I'm going to say! I've tried and tried to come up with a way to mention all my favorite parts without giving the story away and I just don't think I can do it so I'll just say this--if you're looking for a great book to read, one with great characters, a well developed setting and a writing style that keeps those pages turning so fast you're at risk of a paper cut then Dragon's Curse  is the book for you! 
*I received this book for review from the author, but this in no way affected my opinions as expressed in this review.*




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please, let me know what you thought about this post. :)