Friday, March 7, 2014

Thimble Down by Pete Prown

Visit the Author: Facebook
My Rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

About the Book:
THIMBLE DOWN is a country village where death and malice lurk the quiet lanes. When the vile, drunken Bing Rumple acquires a gem-laden treasure, violence begins to follow him everywhere. Where did Bing find such a precious jewel, and worse, is someone willing to kill to possess it? In this fast-paced adventure, the village bookmaster, Mr. Dorro, and his young companions Wyll Underfoot and Cheeryup Tunbridge are in a desperate race to find the answer—before death comes to Thimble Down. 

My Review:
I have to admit when I first heard about Thimble Down I was a little concerned about whether or not I'd like it. I'm pretty particular about books like this, set in fantasy worlds. Despite that, though, I couldn't not give it a chance because, let's face it, it sounds pretty awesome. A mystery novel meets a hobbit-type world, I mean, what's not to love? I'm happy to say I wasn't disappointed! 

It takes a certain kind of author to be able to craft a storybook world with such description and I think that Mr. Prown did a great job of this. I found myself submerged in the characters and almost always interested in what happens next. I will say that at times I felt it drag, but not or long. So, overall, I really enjoyed this story and I look forward to reading more from Pete Prown in the future. I honestly don't like a lot of epic-type fantasy, except a few choice favorites like the Hobbit/LOTR and (of course) one of my personal favorites Sparks by R.S. McCoy, but Thimble Down will certainly be a novel that I will look back on and maybe even reread a few times in the future. I recommend to fans of any of the aforementioned books looking for more, or fans of a good mystery! 
*Although I received this book from the Pete Prown's publicist, this in no way affected my review or opinion.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please, let me know what you thought about this post. :)