Thursday, February 6, 2014

Time to Retire by Jon Foyt

3.5 Stars/5 Stars(rounded up to 4 on Amazon/Goodreads)



About the Book:
Time to Retire, by Jon Foyt, is a new mystery/romance novel that offers a glimpse into the adventures of retirement living.
 
Things are not quite what they seem at Sunset Gardens, an active adult retirement community in California. The directors of the Homeowner's Association has been handling money in questionable ways, there's secret meetings occurring at The Silent Front, a former speakeasy, and an influential resident recently committed suicide. Reporter Willy Herbst, approaching retirement, is curious about what’s going on in the neighboring community “over the hill.” He and his eager intern, Sally Saginaw, team up to investigate. Their discoveries are surprising…
 
Time to Retire is filled with mystery, romance, and adventure, as Willy and Sally explore the lifestyles of aging retirees.

My Review: 
I wasn't sure what to think when I got a review request for Time to Retire. First off, it's going to be a long long time before I'm even thinking about retirement, considering I'm only seventeen years old. So, I accepted the request because of exactly that, I didn't want to think I let a good book slip by(and from that synopsis it sounds pretty good, right?) based solely on the matter of an age gap. I can't say I'm disappointed, but I definitely understand that this book really is best read by someone who really is at or near retirement. 

I must say, though, the story is really engaging and one that I would happily hand to either of my grandparents or even my dad. The characters were pretty well developed and I love the car on the cover(off subject, I know)! The ending was a bit unexpected, and quite amusing. The whole book was pretty amusing, actually, there is just the right amounts of both mystery/suspense and humor to make it an altogether entertaining tale. Although I wouldn't recommend to someone my age or someone college age, I certainly would recommend to, like I said, those who are on the brink of, or are already, retirees. Which, of course, is who the book is targeted for in the first place. I would definitely suggest you head on out and buy this for your parents or grandparents as I truly think they'd enjoy it. 
*I received this book for review for Mr. Foyt via his publicist. This, however, in no way affected my review or opinion.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please, let me know what you thought about this post. :)