Sunday, February 9, 2014

The Perfect Score Project by Debbie Stier

Release Date: February 25th 2014
Publisher: Harmony
Visit the Author: Website|Facebook|Twitter
Pre-Order/Buy the Book: Random House|
Rating: 3.5 of 5 Stars

About the Book:
The Perfect Score Project is an indispensable guide to acing the SAT – as well as the affecting story of a single mom’s quest to light a fire under her teenage son.
 
It all began as an attempt by Debbie Stier to help her high-school age son, Ethan, who would shortly be studying for the SAT.  Aware that Ethan was a typical teenager (i.e., completely uninterested in any test) and that a mind-boggling menu of test-prep options existed, she decided – on his behalf -- to sample as many as she could to create the perfect SAT test-prep recipe.
 
Debbie’s quest turned out to be an exercise in both hilarity and heartbreak as she took the SAT seven times in one year and in-between “went to school” on standardized testing.  Here, she reveals why the SAT has become so important, the cottage industries it has spawned, what really works in preparing for the test and what is a waste of time.
 
Both a toolbox of fresh tips and an amusing snapshot of parental love and wisdom colliding with teenage apathy, The Perfect Score Project rivets. In the book Debbie does it all: wrestles with Kaplan and Princeton Review, enrolls in Kumon, navigates khanacademy.org, meets regularly with a premier grammar coach, takes a battery of intelligence tests, and even cadges free lessons from the world’s most prestigious (and expensive) test prep company.
 
Along the way she answers the questions that plague every test-prep rookie, including: “When do I start?”...”Do the brand-name test prep services really deliver?”...”Which should I go with: a tutor, an SAT class, or self study?”...”Does test location really matter?” … “How do I find the right tutor?”… “How do SAT scores affect merit aid?”... and “What’s the one thing I need to know?”
 
The Perfect Score Project’s combination of charm, authority, and unexpected poignancy makes it one of the most compulsively readable guides to SAT test prep ever – and a book that will make you think hard about what really matters.

My Review:
I was intrigued by this book, being a teen myself. After much consideration, I decided not to take the ACT or SAT myself, and instead decided to go the Home School-College USA route to plot my degree path(I'm planning on a BA in Early Childhood Education). I did, however, use some online SAT study courses to supplement some of my classes and did my research on the test itself when still considering my options. So I know exactly where Debbie is coming from in being so overwhelmed. She just wants what's best for son and knows that a good score on the SAT can really open some doors. So, in that state of mind, Debbie set out to find which resources are truly the best(I feel it depends on the person) in terms of preparing for the SAT. Along the way, she herself took the test multiple times at multiple different locations all while testing every study material she could get her hands on. 
Overall, I found this book to be a pretty good read. The thing I liked best, I think, was how honest it read. If I was preparing to take the SAT, this would be a book that I'd be happy to have in my arsenal. So, in that aspect I recommend The Perfect Score Project. I also recommend to those who love a good memoir-type book in general as this read really well and had a nice flow. I think the journey Debbie went on was very admirable and I found it amazing the lengths she went to help her child have the best future possible, despite the naysayers of her project. If Debbie were to release another book, I believe I would be happy to read it!

*I received this book for review via the Blogging For Books program, but this in no way affected my review or opinion.*


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please, let me know what you thought about this post. :)